Table of Contents
Notes on Samba network file system.
Samba Guide (Official)
All users need to be created before they can access the file
smbpasswd -a daniel
Useful setting for smb.conf
Allow the user to act as root when accessing files in samba server
[global], admin users=daniel
- all read/write by the user
- however, if admin user is not set, then it returns to normal user
prevent creation of annoying hidden files
; Veto the Apple specific files that a NetAtalk server creates. veto files = /Thumbs.db/.DS_Store/._.DS_Store/.apdisk/ delete veto files=yes
Vista without updated SP1,SP2
Mountain Lion and Maverick cannot connect to Mac, if Vista is not SP2!
Fix for Snow Leopard
Run the registry editor (regedit) and open this key:
- If it doesn’t already exist, create a DWORD value named
- Set the value to
Win XP to Linux Samba
- Win user must have account WITH password.
- Password-less account cannot connect to samba share
Fix CJK when connecting from Linux to a Windows. * Make the Korean letter visible from Linux (ie Win pc has a share with Korean filename)
mount -t smbfs //danielPC/D /media/fileserver1 -o user=daniel,codepage=cp949